Converse in everyday social situations.
Course duration: 144 (72 conversation lessons 72 plus lessons)
Lesson duration: 50 minutes
Who is this for?
Departure lessons are dialogue based lessons suitable for learners who require more confidence with structure and grammar.
Departure conversation in detail
Narrative & Characters
- The dialogue based lessons follow the adventures of Nok & Pop as they complete a homestay in the UK.
- Every lesson contains a vocabulary list of 15-20 lexical items critical to the lesson.
- Vocabulary is drilled several times to ensure clear pronunciation, comprehension and memory.
- Departure dialogues are 8 line dialogues designed to resemble a typical conversation using functional language e.g. ordering food in a restaurant. It provides students with the chance to learn structures in a contextualised, realistic setting.
- They also practice manipulating the structure with vocabulary to express their own ideas.
Departure plus in detail
- Plus lessons reinforce language points covered in the dialogue based lesson and have the same lesson name.
- Plus lessons begin with a pronunciation exercise using the main dialogue from the dialogue based lesson.
- The teacher focuses on natural pronunciation of phonemes, linked sounds, intonation and stress. Additional practice of common pronunciation problems are also addressed in the “Speaking Naturally” exercise.
- Next, there is a short reading activity to develop student’s awareness of the narrative arc of the book and provide further context for the lesson’s grammar point. The text comes from “Nok’s journal”.
- Each lesson presents a grammar point through a series of explanatory points. These are followed by exercises to check the students’ understanding and practice what they’ve learned. A game or activity relating to the grammar point is provided at the end of the lesson.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Correctly use an additional 1500 words and phrases.
- Pronounce longer phrases and sentences clearly, using correct stress and intonation.
- Communicate effectively in a broad range of real-world situations.
- Produce complex sentences and have a working knowledge of all English tense structures.