Suitable for: Beginners who have little to no exposure of Thai
Course duration: 144 (72 conversation lessons 72 plus lessons)
Lesson duration: 50 minutes
Script: Dialogues are presented using the Paiboon phonetic system with Thai script underneath. It is not necessary to be able to read Thai script at this level.
Who is this for?: Gateway lessons are dialogue based lessons suitable for learners who have not had much exposure or opportunity to practice.
Gateway Conversation in detail
Narrative & Characters
- The dialogue based lessons follow Emma and her friends as she travels around Thailand learning the Thai language and culture as she interacts with local people.
- Every lesson contains a vocabulary list of 15-20 lexical items.
- The vocab list is not exhaustive, it simply contains the vocabulary deemed most critical to the lesson.
- There are also extra vocabulary building exercises to ensure students are building up their active language quickly
- Each dialogue based lesson features a written out conversation between two people.
- A Gateway level dialogue will typically be six lines long.
- Dialogues are presented using the Paiboon phonetic system with Thai script underneath.
- The dialogues are designed to resemble a typical conversation and provide students with the chance to learn structures in a contextualised, realistic setting. They also practice manipulating the structure with vocabulary to express their own ideas.
Gateway Plus in detail
- Plus lessons reinforce language points covered in the dialogue based lesson and have the same lesson name.
- Students are first introduced to a small number of Thai consonant and vowel symbols and their corresponding tone rules.
- The students practice writing the basic symbols and pay attention to the correct pronunciation of words which follow those rules.
- After this there is a section dedicated to the correct pronunciation of different tones produced using the symbols used in that lesson.
- Next, the students learn some important sentence patterns.
- At the end of the lesson there is a free speaking session to work on fluency.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Correctly use over 1500 words and phrases.
- Pronounce phrases and sentences clearly, using the correct tones.
- Communicate effectively in a range of real-world situations.
- Read basic consonant and vowel structures.